Monday, September 12, 2005

Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans


With all the news regarding the Katrina hurricane and the ongoing relief effort, I wanted to comment on my two years spent living in New Orleans during my residency in Pediatric Dentistry at the LSU School of Dentistry. After completing my D.M.D. degree at the Univ. of Alabama, I went to LSU, whose health science programs are in New Orleans, for a two-year residency. In addition to the dental school experience, we spent much time at Children’s Hospital of New Orleans and Charity Hospital. Yes, I remember the theme from “St. Elsewhere” ringing in my ears every time I entered “Charity.” As residents, we assisted with anesthesia on surgery cases of all types as well as doing our own dental OR cases there.

I learned many things in N.O., but most importantly how much Tabasco sauce to put in my gumbo, why there was a plastic baby in the Mardi gras king cake, and how to eat crawfish! Cafe Du Monde in the Quarter has the best café-au-lait and beignets in the world. With all that has happened, I pray all the people of the Crescent City will recover quickly. In fact I know they will!

Once Again,” Laissez les bons temps rouler!”
(Let the good times roll!)

No comments: